I’ve heard the argument that
I’ve heard the argument that unemployment benefits somehow act as a disincentive to the long-term unemployed when it comes to looking for work, but the opposite is true. Unemployment Insurance serves as a powerful incentive for people to keep searching for jobs, rather than drop out of the labor force altogether.
– Thomas Perez
- Because a person has to be either working or looking for work to be counted as part of the labor force, an increase in the number of people too discouraged to continue their search for work would reduce the unemployment rate, all else being equal – but not for a positive reason. – Ben Bernanke
- Unemployment is ‘involuntary’ when the price is above its market clearing level. Workers are unemployed because jobs are not available at the prevailing wages, period. The only recourse is to either expand the number of jobs or somehow lower the wage. – Dale T. Mortensen
- All those predictions about how much economic growth will be created by this, all of those new jobs, would be created by the things we wanted – the extension of unemployment insurance and middle class tax cuts. An estate tax for millionaires adds exactly zero jobs. A tax cut for billionaires – virtually none. – Anthony
- Being out of a job can erode people’s confidence and their sense of possibility; and employers, often unfairly, tend to take long-term unemployment as a signal that something is wrong. – James Surowiecki
- Despite our high rate of unemployment, 300,000 jobs go unfilled largely because many of the unemployed lack the skills needed today as a result of technological progress. – Kim Campbell
- Long-term unemployment can make any worker progressively less employable, even after the economy strengthens. – Janet Yellen
- Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. – Dwight D. Eisenhower
- We have too many people who live without working, and we have altogether too many who work without living. – Charles Dean
- You must have long term goals to keep you from being frustrated by short term failures. – Charles C. Noble
- Every Company Should Focus On Long-Term Growth But It Won’t Be Able To Get There Without Shot-Term Profits.