Tennis is basically a game
Tennis is basically a game where you try to create an opportunity for yourself to finish the point, because you can’t wait for the opponent to miss anymore. Well, if you create an opportunity and don’t take advantage of it, you let the opponent back to even, then you are just starting the point over, so you have to take advantage of them.
– Ivan Lendl
- Wimbledon 2014 will be my last slam. To be honest, I am already starting to miss professional tennis, having played at the highest level for two decades. It is what has given me my identity, and I will miss every bit of the action. The thought that I will not be playing anymore is daunting. –
- Golf is an unusual game. When you have a good day, you can’t wait to get back out there, and when you have a bad day, you can’t wait to get back out there.
- You know, I still love the innocent parts of the game. I love hitting tennis balls. I love seeing the young guys do well. I’ll still have a lot of friends to watch. I’ll miss the relationships probably the most. As time passes, I’ll probably miss the tennis more. – Andy Roddick
- I got bad calls every match, and I never got an apology. So I thought it was rather strange. – Ivan Lendl
- As tennis players, we work and we sacrifice many things. To lose, that’s not a happy thing – I mean sure, I was disappointed. You have to come back strong. But to win the last point in a grand slam tournament, that’s the most beautiful and most satisfying feeling you can get as a tennis
- I only ever run when there’s some point to it – say, if it’s in a game of tennis. – Rafael Nadal
- Basically, the start of my thinking process is: ‘OK, if you didn’t have to worry about re-election, what would you be doing?’ That’s kind of how I’m starting to think. – Ray Nagin
- In tennis, it is not the opponent you fear, it is the failure itself, knowing how near you were but just out of reach. – Andy Murray
- A lawyer is never entirely comfortable with a friendly divorce, anymore than a good mortician wants to finish his job and then have the patient sit up on the table. – Jean Kerr
- I think the tennis is only a game. You can lose. You can win. After that? In life, there are much more important things than tennis. – Rafael Nadal