And for well over a
And for well over a hundred years our politicians, statesmen, and people remembered that this was a republic, not a democracy, and knew what they meant when they made that distinction.
– Robert W. Welch, Jr.
- For not only every democracy, but certainly every republic, bears within itself the seeds of its own destruction. – Robert W. Welch, Jr.
- World War II made prosperous the United States, which had been undergoing a depression for a dozen years, and made very rich those magnates and their managers who govern the republic – with many a wink – in the people’s name. – Gore Vidal
- I’m a great aficionado of history. I was deeply affected by seeing the disintegration of any chance of democracy coping with fascism in the Weimar republic, where woolly-minded, well-meaning liberalism actually allowed the forces of darkness to use democracy, to exploit democracy, to overturn democracy. – David Blunkett
- The difference is that for a soundly conceived and solidly endowed republic it takes a great deal longer for those seeds to germinate and the plants to grow. – Robert W. Welch, Jr.
- In the Constitution of the American Republic there was a deliberate and very extensive and emphatic division of governmental power for the very purpose of preventing unbridled majority rule. – Robert W. Welch, Jr.
- In the best days of our republic Americans were fiercely proud of the fact that rich and poor met on such equal terms in so many ways, and without the slightest trace of hostility. – Robert W. Welch, Jr.
- And it was under Wilson that the first great propaganda slogan was coined and emblazoned everywhere, to make Americans start thinking favorably of democracies and forget that we had a republic. – Robert W. Welch, Jr.
- The American Republic was bound – is still bound – to follow in the centuries to come the same course to destruction as did Rome. – Robert W. Welch, Jr.
- The transformation of the United States from a traditional republic to a democratic nation run in large measure by a single executive took a couple of hundred years. – Noah Feldman
- So by all means let’s have a television show quick and long, even if the commercial has to be delivered by a man in a white coat with a stethoscope hanging around his neck, selling ergot pills. After all the public is entitled to what it wants, isn’t it? The Romans knew that and even