I’d always admired the intellectuals
I’d always admired the intellectuals who had made the transition into politics – Mario Vargas Llosa in Peru, Vaclav Havel in the Czech Republic, Carlos Fuentes in Mexico – but I knew that many of them had failed, and in any event, I wasn’t exactly in their league.
– Michael Ignatieff
- When Harvard University opened its doors in 1636, there were already well-established universities in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Mexico, and Peru. – Oscar Arias
- I do not consider the Lisbon Treaty to be a good thing for Europe, for the freedom of Europe, or for the Czech Republic. – Vaclav Klaus
- Work for something because it is good, not just because it stands a chance to succeed. – Vaclav Havel
- The Czech Republic is a dynamic United Nations Member State, active on the Human Rights Council, contributing to the peaceful settlement of disputes, and helping other countries to achieve a democratic transition. – Ban Ki-moon
- Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not. – Vaclav Havel
- Communism may be over as an economic system, but as a model of state domination, it is very much alive in the People’s Republic of China and in Putin’s police state. – Michael Ignatieff
- The Dominican Republic says ‘We’re black behind the ears.’ And in Mexico, ‘there’s a black grandma in the closet.’ They know, they’ve just been intermarrying for a long time. But if we did the DNA of everyone in Mexico a whole lot of people would have a whole lot of black in them. – Henry Louis
- And for well over a hundred years our politicians, statesmen, and people remembered that this was a republic, not a democracy, and knew what they meant when they made that distinction. – Robert W. Welch, Jr.
- We have to be thankful to the Czechs that they did their duty. The Czech Republic won, I can’t believe it. It was a huge party with all the people here. – Ruud van Nistelrooy
- If students don’t feel teacher appreciation, their whole education has failed. – Michael Balkers