Wars don’t happen on battlefields
Wars don’t happen on battlefields; they go on happening in people’s hearts for generations and generations, and the ecological damage is unfathomably complex and dire.
– Michael Leunig
- Wars damage the civilian society as much as they damage the enemy. Soldiers never get over it. – Paul Fussell
- Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen. – Michael Jordan
- Love one another and you will be happy. It’s as simple and as difficult as that. – Michael Leunig
- If you believe that some day it’s going to happen some day it probably will happen. You just have to make sure you’re there when it’s happening and ideally you’re at the front of the parade and the principle beneficiary of when it happens, but it’s not a kind of thing where you just sort
- If something is not happening for you it doesn’t mean it’s never going to happen. It just means you’re not ready for it.
- Of all the seasons, winter is the most conducive to the great art of dormancy. This art requires an appreciation of semi-consciousness: the beautiful and necessary prelude to sleep – a special pleasure in itself that is all too often neglected, under-valued or looked down upon. – Michael Leunig
- I have seen lonely people of advancing age, yet as constant as angels, keeping faith to those they loved who fell in wars that current generations, not having known them, cannot even forget. The sight of them moving hesitantly among the tablets and crosses is enough to break your heart. – Mark Helprin
- It’s cool just because I’ve had this dream of changing the sport of swimming and it’s finally happening. – Michael Phelps
- We’re busily wrecking the chances for future generations at a rapid rate of knots by not recognizing the damage we’re doing to the natural environment, bearing in mind that this is the only planet that we know has any life on it. – Prince Charles
- “All wars are civil wars because all men are brothers… Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born.” – François Fénelon