Going meat-free can make a
Going meat-free can make a huge difference. Studies show that vegetarians are, on average, 10 to 20 pounds lighter than meat-eaters and that a vegetarian diet reduces our risk of heart disease by 40 percent and adds seven or more years to our lifespan.
– Ingrid Newkirk
- A diet that relies heavily on meat production results in higher emissions than a typical vegetarian diet. Different individuals will make different choices. However, the debate about climate change should not be dumbed down to a single slogan, such as ‘give up meat to save the planet.’ – Nicholas Stern
- I’m not strictly vegetarian, but meat doesn’t play a big part in my diet. – Katie Holmes
- Meat is a wasteful use of water and creates a lot of greenhouse gases. It puts enormous pressure on the world’s resources. A vegetarian diet is better. – Nicholas Stern
- Perhaps one of the most important things you can do for human beings is wean them off an animal-based diet. It hardens the arteries and runs up our health-care costs. The last thing a poor person can afford is a heart attack or cancer or a stroke. And that’s all linked to a meat-based diet.
- The more I read and watched about the meat industry, the more determined I became to keep meat out of my diet. The things I saw in slaughterhouse exposes made me feel sick and I refused to just ignore what I now knew. – Renee Olstead
- I’m not completely vegan – my diet’s probably about 80 percent plant based, but I do eat some meat. I try to know where everything comes from, though. And all bets are off if my husband and I go to a really great restaurant. – Lauren Bowles
- I’ve never been a huge sweets eater, and I’ve always loved a Mediterranean diet. We eat a lot of dark leafy greens, and a couple meals each week are meat-free. We enjoy eating a balanced diet. – Rachael Ray
- I followed the same diet for 20 years, eliminating starches, living on salads, lean meat, and small portions. – Gene Tierney
- Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic and pesticide laden corpse of a tortured animal. – Ingrid Newkirk
- The American diet causes disease. It is composed of 25 percent animal products and 62 percent processed foods and only 5 percent of calories from fruits and vegetables. – Joel Fuhrman