We build our computer systems
We build our computer systems the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins.
– Ellen Ullman
- Computer Science is a science of abstraction -creating the right model for a problem and devising the appropriate mechanizable techniques to solve it. – J. Ullman
- The s customer expects service to be characterized by fast and efficient computer based systems. – Steve Cuthbert
- The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at least until we’ve finished building it. – Anonymous
- Bill Gates is the pope of the personal computer industry. He decides who’s going to build. – Larry Ellison
- Love is a spring time plant that perfumes everything with its hope, even the ruins to which it clings. – Gustave Flaubert
- All cities are mad: but the madness is gallant. All cities are beautiful: but the beauty is grim. – Christopher Morley
- The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is continually reviewing its safety plan for the 100-plus operating civilian nuclear reactors in the United States. And when those plants were put into operation, they were required to have double and triple redundant safety systems. – Joe Barton
- There are certain romances that belong in certain cities, in a certain atmosphere, in a certain time. – Sammy Davis, Jr.
- From zoning to labor to food safety to insurance, local food systems daily face a phalanx of regulatory hurdles designed and implemented to police industrial food models but which prejudicially wipe out the antidote: appropriate scaled local food systems. – Joel Salatin
- Computer Dating Is Fine, If You’re A Computer. – Rita Mae Brown